History of North Georgia Credit Union
Our credit union was first chartered in 1941 as the LeTourneau Federal Credit Union, established to serve the employees of R.G. LeTourneau Plant in Toccoa. The credit union served the employees of LeTourneau until it was sold to the Westinghouse Airbrake Company (WABCO). At this time, the credit union name was changed to WABCO FCU. Unfortunately, in 1982 the WABCO plant in Toccoa was closed. Determined to keep the credit union alive, the Board of Directors took the steps necessary to change the credit union’s name to North Georgia Credit Union (NGCU) and open the membership up to other employee groups in the area. The credit union grew steadily through the 80’s and 90’s, however, in recent years, we have experienced significant growth. Our charter now allows the credit union to serve any corporation or government entity in Stephens, Franklin, Hart, or Rabun County that wishes to affiliate with us. Residents of Stephens, Franklin, Hart and Rabun Counties and those who work in these counties are also eligible for membership. With over 11,000 members, $60 million in total assets and a full range of products and services, NGCU continues to grow stronger each day.